On Wednesday, October 5, 2011, a highway worker was fatally electrocuted when he struck a power line while mowing a roadway at the seashore. Some of the most devastating and catastrophic injuries and deaths occur to workers as a result of coming into contact with an electrical source causing an electrocution. The second leading cause of death for construction workers, just behind slip and falls, is electrocution. Thousands of people will be catastrophically injured every year and over a thousand people will die by an electricity related accident caused by coming into contact with power lines or a source of electricity that can render a shock large enough to stop their hearts. While the majority of severe electrical shock accidents and electrocutions occur at a workplace, they also often take place in one’s home or the residential property of another while using a defective product, coming into contact with wires that are poorly insulated or exposed, and improperly grounded. Many consumer appliances such as hair dryers, power tools, blenders, and coffee makers have been recalled for posing serious electrical shock and electrocution hazards. Although one would think that an electrocution while working in the garden is a “freak" occurrence, many properties have electrical cables buried in the ground and special care must be taken when gardening or doing construction to avoid coming into contact with this source of electricity.
Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of this electrocution victim and it is strongly suggested that his family seek the services of an experienced electrocution attorney to properly and independently investigate this situation.